Friday, March 22, 2013

SEPTEKH's New EP APOLLONIAN EYES Reviewed

Okay my friends and random surfer trolls, so I'm going to start this review by stating that I'm not a huge thrash fan and I find most retro thrash band utterly useless and pointless. But when I saw/heard the promo clip for Septekh's song Burn It To The Ground, I was totally floored, thinking holy shit this is killer, I want to hear the rest of the Ep called Apollonian Eyes, and now I have!

So what is a Septekh and what does it do, to be honest, I haven't got a clue, but the band Septekh is a thrash/death metal band from some shit hole in Sweden called Stockholm (never heard of it)with a really rotten and dirty sound, it makes me feel like a dirty, dirty boy. Actually it was the guitar tone and overall production that first got my attention, because it is glorious! Really crushing production, and combined that with the raw sound of the drums and the manic vocals and we have a real winner.

What is really fun about reviewing music is that you get to listen to so much new stuff and get in contact with so many new bands. Ok, don't get me wrong many of the albums I get send my way is complete run of the mill garbage, but sometimes you get something that just feels right and you want to take it home to mom and dad and make if feel like one in the family. And this was the way I felt when I heard the video I talked about earlier in this review. And when a promo pack of this EP found its way to my email, I was really ecstatic, cause the rest of the four songs were just as good.

The music is a fast paced mash of thrash, old school death metal and some black metal, at time it gets so frantic that I cannot keep from smiling. And the main reason for this is that I generally don't like this kinds of thrash/ death metal. But what these guys have done with this EP I find completely amazing, together  the frantic riffing and the manic vocals is just bliss. The really thick and heavy production of course helps, cause it is like a big kick in the gut.

The vocals are death metal growls mixed up with more of a black metal touch. At times they remind me of the vocals in Necrophobic, and at times the music as well. Sometimes the vocalist makes high screams that end up cracking his voice and these are just epic.

So since this is a short affair, lets do a rundown of the songs!

Apollonian Eyes, a little fire cracker of a song that is a perfect opener with its fast pace and punkish no bullshit attitude.

Burn It To The Ground, I totally get why this song got to be the video song of this Ep, it is just a blast of a song, its groovy and catchy like nothing ells, not as fast as the others thou, more groovy. I imagine that when these fine fellows plays live this song will for sure cause some sore necks and broken ribs.

Cursing The Skies, in this one we are again faced with high speeds and even a bit of blast beat on the drums! This one has a bit more of a black metal feeling then the others, cool change!

Vlad Tepes sets his stake in us at a more moderate pace then the song before, more groove again. And about half way through the song the black metal darkness descends again and we are treated to some soul crushing angst. The vocalist sounds really tortured here, but the vocalist later proclaims that Vlad Tepes was his bitch, so maybe he was actually having a good time.

So to wrap this baby up in barbed wire and send it off I will say if you like fast paced and groovy thrash/death metal Septekh's new EP Apollonian Eyes needs to find a home in your collection since it made a believer of me and I generally pass on this kind of music. So by that I want to say, that it is really good. And if the matter of my personal taste is not enough to convince you, this Ep has the best sound I have heard in a long time, its heavy, full and the drums are raw and fantastic.
You thought I have forgot the bass didn't you?? But oh no! The bass is fairly high in the mix with a killer cleanish tone, and that means heavynessss (with four s, mind you). And at the end of the last song we get a little bass outro, I give them a gold star for that!
Well that is all I have to say, so check out this band and wake up and burn it down!!



Sweden`s Wilhelm Lindh*, "Portuguese by adoption," guitar player,  composer and owner of the Doom / Death Metal band The Gardnerz, reviews here in HeavyHardMetalmania.net. Careful and professional analysis to the music and albums with suggestions of what there is to see and hear ... not to be missed. "The wisdom is found in the extremes, all extreme Metal here!".



 1. Apollonian Eyes
2. Burn it to the Ground
3. Cursing the Skies
4. Vlad Tepes
"Apollonian Eyes" is available for Pre-Order now on the Abyss Records webstore.


"The Seth Avalanche", SEPTEKH's debut EP, was re-released in 2012 on Abyss Records.

Photo courtesy of: www.epicbubble.com
Septekh is a death/thash metal band from Stockholm/Mörkö, Sweden. The quartet was formed in late autumn 2008 and has since then been recording, playing shows and dwelling in their refuge in the rural heart of the dark island. There they have honed an exquisite brand of groovy riffing and grand proclamations.
The band is inspired by things such as the musical elegant wave of devastation from the neighbouring country in the west, the older wave from the British isle as well as Motörhead, Black Sabbath and other forebears of true rock n roll.
2012 saw the release of the six track EP "The Seth Avalanche"  and Septekh has again signed with Abyss Records for the current EP "Apollonian Eyes".
More is to come when the smoke clears . The flame is strong. The Plan remains alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment