Thursday, May 30, 2013

Insane Prophecy`s "Apogee Of An Inquisition" Reviewed

Tonight's pick for reviewing is India's Insane Prophecy, and to my knowledge this is the first Indian metal band I have ever heard. So what I got slated for you guys is an four track EP called Apogee Of An Inquisition, self-released by the band in 2011. This Ep consists of three metal songs and one acoustic ballad. All of the compositions are good, but my fav track has to be the acoustic piece. I don't mean anything negative by this in regard to the metal songs, for example my favorite track on Viral Remains's album Dawn Of The Apocalypse is the song Came No Ray Of Light, which is an tasty little acoustic number. And I think that album as a whole is fantastic. Well enough about that, the metal on this album is of death and black flavor. I'm thinking that this is something that Setherial or Naglfar could have cooked up. There were some influences that I could not immediately put my finger on, but after thinking long and hard it came to me: Behemoth! Especially the title track sounds Behemoth to me. So what does this leave us? Well it is basically more black metal the death metal and it is pretty melodic stuff.

The tempos are generally pretty high with a lot of blast beats and thrash beats, but there is still left for some groovy parts. And following the often frantic pace of the drums are the guitars which often plays tremolo picked riffs in the lower register, much like the above mentioned bands. But there are also some riffs that reminds me of Morbid Angel, and in my book that is always a good thing. And for good measure there are also some thrashy parts especially in the first track. The songs are well crafted and well played. It would be nice to see some more personality in the songs since I think these guys are playing it pretty close to their influences. But besides this the songwriting is solid and together with the crisp production this makes for a good Ep. And with a competent vocalist thrown into the mix, you can't go wrong.

And as for the production it is pretty spot on, it is not super slick, but it is no bathtub recording either. I think it holds up pretty well, sure it is no Abyss studio recording but for and self-released EP I think there is no reason to complain.

So for a first taste of the Indian metal scene I'm very satisfied, and I hope to hear more from Insane Prophecy and from the Indian scene in general.


Sweden`s Wilhelm Lindh*, "Portuguese by adoption," guitar player,  composer and owner of the Doom / Death Metal band The Gardnerz, reviews here in HeavyHardMetalmania.net. Careful and professional analysis to the music and albums with suggestions of what there is to see and hear ... not to be missed. "The wisdom is found in the extremes, all extreme Metal here!".

Ifty Sarwar – Drums/Vocals/Guitar/Lyrics/Arrangements 
Xulfi Nawaz – Bass/Vocals/Guitar
To order Insane Prophecy's Debut EP "Apogee Of An Inquisition", point your browser here.

No comments:

Post a Comment